Monday, March 19, 2012

The Value of a Good Writer's Group

Had a great conversation today with Stephanie, a fellow member of my local writer's group. She has just recently joined and already shows a lot of promise. It is so stimulating to listen to the high hopes and untainted comments of someone new to the profession who has yet to experience the rejection that comes right along with the writing. Although, at our last meeting, she took quite a verbal assessment of her submission, both of what was done right and what needs work,. We talked about the high value of working with a writer's group. Our group has members who comment on the overall feel of a story, while others look for the basics - hook, conflict,resolution, and fortunately we have a couple of members who were English teachers, who keep us on tract with our punctuation. We agreed that The Lake Havasu City Writers Group is a dynamic, inspirational, supportive cadre of members that is unique and we are blessed to be a part of it.

Sold another book today. My friend Rita is giving Hannah to a friend of hers. Also, gave a copy of the most recent Offerings from the Oasis to the two folks at Havasu Landing for all the help they gave me when I fell a few weeks ago. So three more books are out in the public domain. I can only hope those strangers enjoy the writng and tell their friends.

Thinking about getting my books in as many hands as possible so as to attract new readers, a quote by George M. Cohen came to mind. "I don't care what they call me as long as the as they mention my name."

No comments: