Thursday, March 08, 2012

Thursdays at Hastings

Thursdays have become our unofficial writer's coffee get-together at Hastings Books & Music store. Today we had quite a crowd - Anne Connors, Tom Novak, Gina Olsen, Karen Wright, Dave Bellomy, Heide Hirsch-Gros, Jo Schlad and me. We started with a review of a cover letter that Anne had composed to send to a prospective agent. I thought it looked very professional and effective. Gina shared some grammatical upgrades. I sure hope it works. Anne is determined and her book Anzak is worth a chance at the big time. After the review of her letter, the conversation veered all over the place with lots of talk of Europe, the problems of aging and just funny stories. It's a couple hours of real camaraderie and I sure do enjoy it.

This evening I attended a meeting for the Mohave Community College Foundation of which I am a member. Another member, Gloria Ackland, is a member of a book club and they read my book Abby. She reports that her group loved it and they would like to read more of my work. I am so stoked! They would like a sequel as there was lots of talk about whether the Indian woman, Swan, had died or not. My intent was that she had and that Tommy had regained his memory and would find his way back to Abby. But, I just love hearing how others interpreted the story.

Again, did not get a chance to work on The Band, so J.J. is still in a mess. Hopefully, I'll get to him tomorrow. Always we look forward to tomorrow, but for now, I leave you with this tidbit from William Arthur Ward about the value of today. "Today is a most unusual day, because we have never lived it before; we will never live it again; it is the only day we have."

No comments: