Saturday, March 17, 2012

Critiques - Why bother?

Moved 'The Band' along today. I've gotten their grandfather back into the scene at the request of J.J.'s brothers who have found themselves out of options to keep J.J. from certain self-destruction.

Then it was off to my regular Saturday writer's meeting. Big crowd. It was the week of our 250 word assignments. My verbal feedback lasted about 60 seconds, but the written copies that were returned to me contained some good critiquing. A couple folks took the time to mention in detail what I did right as well as what needs work. I really appreciate their efforts. A critique that merely says, 'Nice work. I enjoyed it', doesn't help the author or the rest of the writers in the room who are there to learn. Okay, off my soapbox now.

Our after meeting at Denny's was powerful in that our childhoods were shared. Out of the seven of us, five had horrible childhoods and some even included sexual abuse. That these folks have become so successful is a real tribute to their awareness and strength to take control and not let their past dictate their lives. As I listened to their stories, I sent a mental 'Thank You' to my parents, grandparents, uncles and step-father. They were real men and role models that always acted in a manner that created a loving home filled with an aura of warmth, stability and protection. There were so many stories shared that I'll be surprised if it doesn't motivate some very emotional, heart rendering stories from these folks.

Afterwards, I joined Jo for my St. Patrick's Day corned beef and cabbage dinner at Juicy's Restaurant. It was delicious.

Then it was home to examine my critiques in depth. Made some effective upgrades to the story. All in all a fun day.
To close out this day of the year dedicated to The Irish, let me leave you with this bit of Irish observation per Margaret Jackson. "Ireland is rich in literature that understands a soul's yearnings, and dancing that understands a happy heart."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.